Grants / Work Study

Pell Grants 

The Federal Pell Grant is not a loan, so it does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students. So if you have already earned a bachelor’s degree, you may not be eligible.

Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student aid, but aid from other sources might be added. If you are eligible for a Pell Grant, you will receive the full amount you qualify for.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) 

FSEOG is for undergraduates with low Expected Family Contributions (EFC). The EFC is used by colleges to determine a student’s financial aid package. The EFC represents the amount of money the family of a student can reasonably be expected to contribute toward college expenses.

After completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) that includes the EFC. The Federal Student Aid Office (part of the US Department of Education) determines the EFC through income, investments, and savings.

The amount of aid you receive depends on many factors including:

  • Your financial need,
  • The amount of other aid you will receive, and
  • The availability of funds at your school.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) 

Federal Work Study is a federal program that allows students to earn money for school costs through part-time employment. The program offers jobs on campus and off-campus, usually at community service agencies. Students are paid on an hourly basis and usually work 10–20 hours per week. To work in a FWS position, students must apply for financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need.

Pennsylvania State Grant Program

The PA State Grant is paid in part or in whole by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and PHEAA serves as the administrator of the program. The PA State Grant is awarded to degree students based on enrollment and academic progress. Pennsylvania Institute of Technology is required to verify that a student receiving a Pennsylvania State Grant is making “Satisfactory Academic Progress.” For more information regarding the PA State Grant or to apply, visit their website at