The Health Science program prepares students for admissions in nursing programs, physical therapist assistant programs and other highly competitive medically-related programs. Top grades in this program prove to colleges and universities that students have the stamina, perseverance, drive and academic skills to succeed in rigorous clinical patient care programs. In many instances, there are only a limited number of vacancies – only the top candidates are accepted.
Graduates of the Health Science program are also qualified for many non-clinical positions with health care providers including, health specialists, health and wellness counselors, addiction counselors, community relations specialists, health services coordinators, just to name a few.
The Pennsylvania Institute of Technology has transfer agreements with a number of colleges and universities in the Philadelphia area. These educational institutions will accept the credits earned in P.I.T.’s A.S. Health Science program. Students will be able to earn bachelor degrees in health care administration, health care counseling, managed care and other similar programs.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon the successful completion of this program of study, graduates should be able to:
- Demonstrate a strong foundation in health-related sciences, applied mathematics, English, humanities and social sciences that are required in health care professions,
- Identify the anatomical structure and functions of the human body,
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental molecular, cellular, and genetic principles characterizing plants and animals,
- Identify the properties of matter, atomic structure, molecular geometry, periodic table arrangements, and chemical bonding and ionization,
- Understand the functional anatomy of the human body and associated kinesiology,
- Gain an appreciation for the delivery of health care with the environment of continuously changing vulnerable, racial, ethnic and cultural demographics.
- Demonstrate the principles of critical thinking in the process of problem resolution.