Students who are seeking a broad, multi-disciplinary learning experience can benefit significantly from the General Studies program. General Studies gives students the opportunity to learn about a variety of fields while building their critical thinking skills and their analytical techniques.
There are many career and transfer opportunities for people who pursue a General Studies degree. Students can move into multidisciplinary fields, such as website management or technical writing. By combining business classes, communication classes, and computer science classes, students are able to build a program that works exclusively for them. This program is also beneficial for students who are unsure what major they want to pursue. Students can take a wide selection of classes their first or second semester, and then realizing where their interest lies, can change majors to pursue a specific major.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program of study, graduates should be able to:
- Identify, analyze, and integrate information as part of appropriate tasks,
- Evaluate principles of critical thinking in the process of developing solutions,
- Communicate effectively and efficiently in a variety of methods, including written, oral, persuasive, and process-oriented formats,
- Analyze cultural and social issues within a national and global context,
- Demonstrate effective use of technology appropriate to the task,
- Demonstrate the ability to locate sources, evaluate validity, and ensure appropriateness,
- Use and document sources and evidence in an ethical manner,
- Apply mathematical techniques to the analysis of quantitative problems, and
- Describe how the scientific method is used to generate new knowledge.